Saturday, October 21, 2006

Home again! I arrived in Denver the day after my last posting, then was turned into the beer man for the rest of the week. I picked up a load of Coors in Golden, Colorado and delivered it Sunday morning in Elkton, Virginia. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend the afternoon with my wife's aunt and uncle near Rickmond before picking up another load of beer in Williamsburg heading for Syracuse, New York. This time it was Anheuser Bush. Two days later found me hauling another load of Bush beer toward Michigan before finally getting a load down to Atlanta, which I delivered first thing this morning. So, here I am, nearly six thousand miles after leaving home, finally sitting in my own bedroom typing this message. I will not be home for long, however. I have to leave out again early Monday morning, but I will enjoy the short visit with Teresa and the kids.
I wrote a poem that my wife is fond of after one of my too brief visits home. You will find it posted below.

LEAVING

Leaving is hardest,
The morning of,
Yet harder still,
The knowledge,
That time heals
Not the pain of
Separation from
The ones I cherish.
The memory of a tear,
Hanging in her eye,
A front of courage,
Determined not to
Show the sadness
In her heart caused
By my absence.
The sound of a child's
Voice hangs in my
Ear, asking why I
Have to leave
Tomorrow, but I
Love you anyway
Daddy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home