Tuesday, February 06, 2007

.........A friend of mine asked me the other day where I got the name of my blog, "Watch out for flying coffee tables." It was simple, really. The day I started my blog was the day my truck was assaulted by a flying coffee table. It happened early one afternoon around mile marker 19 on I40 in Arkansas. I was driving along, minding my own business and having a good day, when I noticed an old Chevy S10 pickup loaded down with all manner of household belongings, speeding up behind me. Now, to her credit, there was a rather large Peterbuilt on her rear bumper helping push the pickup along. I guess the truck driver was in a hurry, as we all seem to be out here. Anyway, since I have one of the slowest trucks on the road, I was right where I was supposed to be, in the Granny lane.
.........I was not thinking too much about the little pickup, and the precarious load it was carrying, as it flew around me. Then, just as she passed me and cut in front of me, the coffee table that had ridden all the way from Tennessee without one single strap holding it down, decided to fly off the top of her load. I knew she was from Tennessee from her license plate and those awful University of Tennessee decals on her back window. I thought I was going to be okay as the table sailed smoothly between me and the Peterbuilt, who was now beside me, but just before clearing my trailer, the coffee table was sucked underneath, where it managed to blow out two trailer tires and rip an air line loose. As I limped my damaged rig to the shoulder, I watched little Miss Tennessee ride off into the sunset, never knowing, or caring, what she had justed caused.
..........Anyway, that is how I came up with the name for my blog. I am now out in Kansas, heading for Salt Lake City, Utah. I have a couple of days to get out there, so it should be a nice ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home